Dancing on the Head of a Pin

There is a legend of St Thomas Aquinas asking "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" At this blog we ask all questions dealing with our faith and spirituality. Some are down to earth, rubber meets the road questions, while others are more lofty...like, how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Elevated Speech


I remember in seminary the liturgics professor commenting that the ancients viewed song as elevated speech and that it was customary for things that were sacred to be whispered or sung, both of which call greater attention to the words. So it is no surprise that there is a rich tradition in the Church of sung liturgy. I remember visiting Holy Apostles Orthodox Church in Columbia, SC and hearing the priest sing (chant) every word of the liturgy, save the sermon. It was impossible to worship there and not feel as if everything was elevated and that heaven, or at least a foretaste of it, could be on earth. I am not a singer, except when I'm surrounded by a shower curtain and a bar of soap. However, I recently teamed up with the Choirmaster at the Church of the Good Shepherd in Augusta to "teach" me how to sing - or at least sing the liturgy. Hopefully by Easter (is there a more appropriate time?) we will be able to sing the vast majority of the liturgy at St Michael's.

Out of curiosity - do you/does your priest sing any parts of the liturgy?

Steve +

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, during the Easter season he does. I have also sung the Exultet on several occasions. I enjoy the sung liturgy.

1:33 PM  
Blogger King of Peace said...

Singing is not one of my gifts. Though I am willing and able to get a group started on a hymn, I'm not ready for a solo, even in the liturgy.

peace,
Frank+

4:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home