Dancing on the Head of a Pin

There is a legend of St Thomas Aquinas asking "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" At this blog we ask all questions dealing with our faith and spirituality. Some are down to earth, rubber meets the road questions, while others are more lofty...like, how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Our First Encounter with Church

Last night I spoke to a PTO gathering at a South Carolina elementary school on the importance of a good experience at school. I asked all the parents if they could remember the names of their elementary school teachers. 99% raised their hands, as did I: Ms. Runyan, Ms. Bull, Ms. Roquemore, Ms. Bright, and Ms. Geoly. We remember their names because they represent our first encounter with learning. Ms. Runyan shared the alphabet with me, Ms. Bull taught me how to write, Ms. Roquemore how to write in cursive, and Ms. Geoly taught me to love reading. Their influence, and my experience helped me through high school, college, and graduate school. Had I not had a good first encounter with learning, I would not have wanted to spend 20 years in school. The same is true in the Church. What do our children (or adults for that matter) experience when they come to Church? How will their early encounters with worship, the Bible, and other Christians shape their lives in the future? In all of our parishes we have college students who have moved away from home for the first time and are on their own for the first time. Will they go to Church without mom and dad dragging them? In my opinion - like school, it depends largely on their early encounters. In other words - how can we enhance everyone's encounter with Church?

Steve +

1 Comments:

Blogger gerard81cortney said...

damn good blog, check out mine http://juicyfruiter.blogspot.com, comments always welcome!

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home