Dancing on the Head of a Pin

There is a legend of St Thomas Aquinas asking "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" At this blog we ask all questions dealing with our faith and spirituality. Some are down to earth, rubber meets the road questions, while others are more lofty...like, how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

The Here and Now

In 1982, the sequel to the Mel Gibson movie "Mad Max" hit theatres. This movie was entitled "Road Warrior" and was set in a post-apocalyptic world where gas was the most scarce and sought after commodity. This movie came to mind today when gas prices went over $3 a gallon. In Waynesboro, one gas station had gas at $3.45 a gallon. People were waiting in line, police were manning the Wal-Mart gas station, and many, many people were greatly concerned. What will gas prices be tomorrow? How will we afford the winter bills? Tonight we gathered for our third study group on CS Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters." "Screwtape" is a (obviously) fictional collection of letters between two demons - one seasoned and the other, a novice. Tonight we discussed how dangerous it is for us to get caught up in the future. The seasoned demon, Screwtape, advised his novice nephew to cast his "patient's" attention on the future, instead of the present. The future is uncertain and unknowable. Who knows what will happen with gas prices and energy costs. We cannot afford to avoid, however, the present - the here and now. As we are worried about (and rightly so) about our brothers and sisters in New Orleans and other hurricane devastated areas and our own futures, we can't forget our own spiritual status right now - our connection with God -right now. How we are treating others - right now. As Jesus reminds us - tomorrow will have it's own worries. Let us live today, in the here and now. Let us pray for those who are suffering. Let us be responsible with our energy. Let us not forget our need for daily bread.

Steve +

2 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

Steve-

Thanks for this helpful reminder. I read Screwtape a while ago, but I remember this passage you are referring to. Gas prices here in Chicago are around $3.50-$3.55, but luckily for me, this city (at least the vast majority of places I need to be) are easily accessible on bike. I think my car may remain parked for some time. I'm probably going to have to go outfit my bike with a light so I can ride at night, but I would encourage everyone, as you are doing, to be conscientious with gas and energy. We, too, here in Chicago, are worried about heating bills for the winter.

I really enjoy reading your blog and I wish you the best in your ministry. It seems to me you are off to a great start!

Blessings!
-R

11:42 AM  
Blogger Thumper said...

I have this book and have not read it. Is there some way I can read what you all have to say about it? and maybe take part from afar? Blessings to you.

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home