Dancing on the Head of a Pin

There is a legend of St Thomas Aquinas asking "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" At this blog we ask all questions dealing with our faith and spirituality. Some are down to earth, rubber meets the road questions, while others are more lofty...like, how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Top Ten Reasons Men Give for not Going to Church

The following list comes from a book reviewed in the Augusta Chronicle on June 18. The book is called (not surprisingly) "Why Men Hate Going to Church" by David Murrow. The Top Ten...Letterman style:

10. I don't have time
9. Church just doesn't work for me
8. It's boring
7. It's irrelevant to my life
6. I don't like the pastor
5. I don't want to talk about it
4. It's too long
3. They ask for money too much
2. It's for wimps
1. There are too many hypocrites there

The one reason that peaks my interest is #5 "I don't want to talk about." The fact that it's boring, irrelevant, too long, etc. are superficial reasons that may mask a deeper one - perhaps #5. What is it that men don't want to talk about? Could it be they (we) realize we are wimps and we need God? Is it because they (we) are hypocrites and don't want to join the club? What you do think?

Steve

2 Comments:

Blogger King of Peace said...

Men generally don't want to talk about emotions, why would emotions about going to church be any different?

The best book I know on men and faith is John Eldridge's Wild at Heart. It talks about how to be a man of faith without just being a bored, nice guy.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Ginny said...

Might need to ask your permission to snag that Top Ten list... may I?

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home